The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
Once again, we are facing another Christmas with limitations, having been informed that the latest version of Coronavirus is more virulent than all others. I fully expect the Scottish Government will, in the course of next week, issue further guidance or legislation as we approach Christmas. We must all continue to adhere to guidance and law, while Grand Secretary will inform all Lodge Secretaries of any change that may come about.
- Following on from last week’s announcement marking the publication of the 1000thpost, another significant milestone has been reached and many congratulations are extended to our 6000thmember … Brother Lee Wiid. Brother Wiid is a member of Lodge Pinelands Kilwinning, No. 960 and District Grand Secretary of the District Grand Lodge of Western Province of the Cape of Good Hope. In addition, Brother Wiid holds office in the District Grand Lodge working under the Grand Lodge of Ireland.
- This week saw Group membership rise to 6009 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- The total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rose to 1029, submitted by 330 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 349 Lodges, from within 55 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- This week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provinces of Ayrshire, East Lothian, Fife & Kinross, Forfarshire, Glasgow, Lanarkshire Middle Ward, Linlithgowshire, Midlothian, Perthshire East, Stirlingshire, and The Scottish Borders.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £1,803,688.
SCFS Overseas Report
A number of outstanding posts were published this week … thanks is extended to the brethren who supported SCFS by providing them.
- Brother Rinus Grau, DG Secretary of the District of Zimbabwe, shared a post by Brother Keith Ballantine, RWM, Lodge Kariba, No. 1558, of the Lodge’s£3400 Christmas treat and gifts to 60 of the Lodge pensioners.
- Brother Rinus Grau also posted news of the DGL of Zimbabwe’s £3500 support of 80 residents in the Masonic Home in Harare, who were treated to a Christmas lunch and food hampers.
- Brother Scott Bartlett, IPDGM, shared a post about a donation by the District Grand Lodge of Newfoundland and Labrador, to “The Gathering Place” (fostering self respect and dignity).
- News of the donation by Lodge Northcliffe, No. 1086, Newfoundland and Labrador, to Grand Falls Windsor Community Kitchen, was also advised by Brother Scott Bartlett.
- Our Overseas Membership is now 1663 with brethren joining from the Districts of The Bahamas, Far East (South Korea), Guyana, Western Province of the Cape of Good Hope, and Zimbabwe.
- The Bahamas was the District which had most brethren joining from it … with a good spread of Lodges being represented.
- We now have 1088 brethren from Lodges whose Grand Lodges are in amity with the GLoS. New members joined from 11 different Masonic constitutions: the GL of Japan, UGLE(Sri Lanka, Isle of Man, Nigeria), GL of the State of Israel, United Grand Lodges of Germany (American Canadian Grand Lodge), GL of South Africa, GL of Tennessee, GL of Maryland, GL of Texas, GL of Ireland, United GL of New South Wales and ACT, and the GL of Indiana.
I am delighted to report, as many of you will have seen from Jim Ellis’s post on the Facebook page, that in Ayrshire, the toy appeal organised by Christine Oliver in Kilmarnock has once again been an outstanding success with some 772 families benefitting this year. Christine has organised this appeal for several years, and it has grown each year since she started. Sincere congratulations to Christine and her band of helpers for a timely reminder that the ladies always play a significant part in many of our activities.
I hear that Lodge Fraser 267 (Aberdeenshire East) have celebrated the end of 2021 by initiating their 700th member into the Lodge – congratulations to Brother Gerrie Young on his admission to Lodge Fraser.
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other.
Grand Master Mason
- Hits: 620