The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
What a week it has been. A truly successful 4th International Scottish Masonic Conference. My sincere thanks go to Brother Ken Kennedy, Chairman of the Conference Committee, and his Conference Committee, all of whom really pulled out the stops to make it a memorable week. The Conference Stewards did a marvellous job ensuring that everyone was in the right place at the right time. Many thanks to all the 300 plus delegates, especially all those from overseas, who attended along with wives and partners – I sincerely hope that you all enjoyed yourselves and found the week interesting, stimulating and a worthwhile experience. The 5th Conference will be held in Beirut in May 2025.
Yesterday, I was honoured to be once again installed as your Grand Master Mason at the hands of Past Grand Master Brother Charles Iain Robert Wolrige Gordon of Esslemont who did an excellent job as always.
Over the past year Brother Jim Bell and Brother Jim Peddie have carried out their duties as Depute and Substitute Grand Masters in an impeccable manner and I thank them both for their support and commitment.
I now very much look forward to working with our new Depute and Substitute – Brother Bud Gauld and Brother Alexander Moncrieff and would ask you all to give them your support as you have done in the past.
- The Group saw its membership rise to 6961 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 1407, submitted by 410 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 410 Lodges, from within 56 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- During the week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provincial Grand Lodges of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Lanarkshire Upper Ward, Linlithgowshire, Moray & Nairn, Perthshire West and Renfrewshire West
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £2,827,946.
SCFS Overseas Report .
We were delighted to publish information from Brother Scott Bartlett, IPDGM, District Grand Lodge of Newfoundland and Labrador, who shared news of sizeable donations to both the “Kids Eat Smart” and the “School Lunch Program” which were realised as a result of the 2022 Masonic Charity Golf Tournament. In addition, information about a £500 donation to “Make it a Million” on behalf of the District was noted.
A further post highlighted the support of Lodge Pelican, No. 1750, Barbados, for Prostate Cancer detection through the Barbados Cancer Centre. The Lodge made an excellent donation of £650.
- The Overseas membership continues to increase. New members joining from the following Lodges this week helped reach the current total of 1870 members: Lodge St. George, No. 200 (Bermuda), Lodge Naval and Military, No. 848 (Far East), Lodge Alpha, No. 1594 (Guyana), Lodge Sir William Wallace, No. 868 (Western Australia, Goldfields), and Lodge Wellington, No. 1385 (Belgium).
- In addition, new members were approved from Lodges whose Grand Lodges are in amity with the GLoS. It was a particular pleasure to welcome into the group Brother Mikel Stoops, Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Kansas.
The Glasgow Phoenix Choir Christmas Concert will be held in Freemasons’ Hall, Edinburgh on Sunday 11th December at 2.30 pm for 3.00 pm. Tickets can be reserved through Grand Lodge Reception – only £10 per ticket. This year, in commemoration of the ascension of King Charles III, the choir will perform “Zadok the Priest” as part of the concert.
We are now very much into our Installation season, and I would take this opportunity to wish all new Masters, Wardens, and Office-bearers at home and overseas a very happy, productive, and meaningful term in office.
We think today of all our Sikh Brethren who, yesterday, marked the Martyrdom of Guru Tegh Bahador Ji
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other.
Grand Master Mason