The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
Yesterday saw the first meeting of the Administration Committee under the new chairmanship of Brother Andy Mushet – he handled a long and at times complicated agenda very competently proving to be a sound successor to Brother Jim Bell. The Minute of the meeting will be circulated in due course, but the work of the Conference Committee was duly endorsed with an upfront grant to get things moving which is great news. The Conference Committee are meeting next Thursday under the Chairmanship of Brother Ken Kennedy and I’m sure will make good headway on the promotion of the event and the procedures for indicating interest in attending. Over the next few weeks expect to see the start of the promotional material being circulated – the Conference has the potential to lift all our spirits and give us a truly memorable week of Masonic activity in November.
The working party dealing with the events to help us reach £1,000,000 for Prostate Cancer will be meeting again at the beginning of February. This Saturday I, along with Grand Almoner, will be speaking to our District Grand Masters with a view to looking at how the Districts can become involved in the initiative, given that the research work being carried out here will benefit men throughout the world.
We welcome the news from the Scottish Government that many of the current restrictions will be lifted from Monday. However, we cannot be complacent about the changes. We still need to exercise a degree of caution and I would recommend that we all continue to take a sensible pragmatic approach to the changing conditions. However, let us once again enjoy the companionship that our meetings afford, as well as the ability to enjoy Harmony once more. The Grand Lodge Communication will take place on Thursday 3rd February and I look forward to meeting many of you in Edinburgh.
- The Group saw its membership rise to 6150 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 1082, submitted by 344 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 358 Lodges, from within 56 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- During the week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provinces of Dumfriesshire, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Linlithgowshire and Stirlingshire.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £1,846,411.
SCFS Overseas Report
Our membership of Brethren from Lodges located outwith Scotland continues to grow steadily and this week we welcomed another 23 Brethren to the SCFS group.
Included in that number were Brethren from Overseas Lodges operating under the Grand Lodge of Scotland and Brethren under other Grand Lodges which are in amity with the GLoS.
- In this respect, particular reference must be made to Lodge Good Friendship, No. 1800, in the District of Eastern Province of the Cape of Good Hope. Our Overseas Membership is now standing at
- We also now have 1178 Brethren from Lodges whose Grand Lodges are recognised by the GLoS, and who spread news, worldwide, of the wonderful support given to others by our Brethren. New members joined from 14different Masonic constitutions this week: GL of Ecuador, GL of the Philippines, GL of India, GL of Ireland, Danish Order of Freemasons, GL of Canada in the Province of Ontario, GL of Indiana, GL of South Africa, GL of Belgium, United GLs of Germany, GL of Quebec, UGLE, GL of Nigeria.
- A special welcome was extended to our first member from the Grand Lodge Cuscatlan of El Salvadorwho is Brother Oswald Hernandez Huerta, Grand Master.
We would encourage even more Brethren in our lodges abroad to join the SCFS group and look forward to publishing posts from them.
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other.
Grand Master Mason
- Hits: 19