The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
Yesterday, Thursday 28th October, marked a significant step forward in the fight against Covid with the first Grand Lodge Communication since February 2020. Around 250 Brethren were in attendance and how good it was to be back in Grand Hall.
As you can imagine, we had a lengthy agenda to cope with and all those in attendance had received substantial amounts of paperwork to work their way through but thanks to the organisation of Grand Secretary and his staff, all went according to plan.
The Grand Lodge Installation will take place on Thursday 25th November but there will be no Festival of St Andrew. Numbers will be restricted but it is another step in the right direction.
This weekend I will be heading a Deputation north to Shetland where we will be installing Brother Alan Balfour as the PGM of Orkney and Zetland. Hopefully the weather will improve compared to what it was in Edinburgh yesterday!
- The Group saw its membership rise to 5821 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 962, submitted by 317 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 338 Lodges, from within 55 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- This week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provinces of East Lothian & Fife & Kinross.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £1,620,306.
SCFS Overseas Report
Several outstanding posts were published this week …
- Brother George Rogers, Immediate Past District Grand Master of Western Australia, shared news of a wonderful donation of over £8100 to the Returned Services League of Western Australia by the brethren in that district.
- Brother Bobby Law, Past District Grand Master, highlighted the wonderful support of Epworth Children’s Home in Germiston, South Africa, by brethren in the district of Central South Africa.
- A post from Brother Scott Bartlett, Immediate Past District Grand Master of Newfoundland and Labrador, showing support by Lodge Northcliffe, No. 1086, for the Ronald McDonald House for Sick Kids and their Families, was also published.
- Overseas Membership has now reached a total of 1630 brethren due to new members joining from Lodges in the Districts of the Bahamas and Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Our membership of brethren who belong to Lodges whose Grand Lodges are in amity with the GLoS continues to increase and now stands at 959. These members play an important role in spreading news throughout their respective constitutions of the excellent support which brethren of the Scottish constitution are providing to so many.
- During this week, new members joined from 11 different Masonic constitutions, including: GL of California, GL of Tennessee, GL of South Carolina, GL of Nigeria, GL of Texas, UGLE, GL of South Africa, GL of Japan, United GL of Queensland, GL of Peru.
- In addition to the above, a special welcome was extended to Brother Stephen Michalak, Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of South Australia and Northern Territory.
- It is encouraging that more Lodges in our Districts, under Grand Superintendents and under the supervision of Grand Lodge, have shared with us the examples of the excellent support with which they have been involved and we look forward to sharing future news with all our brethren.
My sincere thanks and that of my Deputation to the Master and Brethren of Lodge St Peters Operative for the very warm welcome we received last Friday night – the 200th anniversary celebrations were a joy to be part of.
Likewise, our sincere thanks to the Master and Brethren of Lodge St Martin in Ullapool where we enjoyed their Centenary celebrations last Saturday. A very productive and enjoyable weekend.
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other.
Grand Master Mason
- Hits: 1033