The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
Time seems to be flying in these days – here we are in June already, half-way through the year.
However, June brings with it another wee test – the Masons4Munros challenge. May I take this opportunity to thank all participants and wish you a very enjoyable and safe climb. If this spell of good weather continues, the views from the tops will be tremendous – make sure you take plenty photographs. If you are not participating, can I ask you to support those who are.
All monies raised will go toward supporting the Prospack Project – a joint venture between the Scottish Craft and Prostate Scotland to provide support / care packs to all men undergoing treatment for prostate cancer or disease. My sincere thanks to you all for continuing to help in the fight against this insidious disease. The link for sponsorship of participants or to make a donation is Just Giving for Masons4Munros at www.justgiving.com/campaign/PSGLoSPROSPACK-Masons4Munros
The other legacy project we are promoting at present is the creation of a Prostate Champion in every Province and District. Can I commend this project to you and make a plea for volunteers to come forward and undertake this important and vital role. No previous experience is necessary as appropriate training will be given throughout the summer so that we can forge ahead at the start of the new Masonic Season in September.
This project ticks so many boxes. It provides an opportunity to educate men – whether they are members of the craft or not. It provides an opportunity to be in a position to listen to and give basic advice to those who have been hesitant to broach the subject of prostate disease, and it provides an opportunity for Scottish Freemasons to reach into their respective communities and provide a free and important service that does not exist at present. Please give this project your support – I can assure you it will be a very fulfilling and rewarding experience. For further information, please speak to your Provincial or District Grand Master or contact Grand Almoner. Thank you.
- The Group saw its membership rise to 7184 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 1710, submitted by 486 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 438 Lodges, from within 59 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- During the week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provinces of Ayrshire, Forfarshire, Lanarkshire Middle Ward, Linlithgowshire, Perthshire West and Renfrewshire West.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £3,441,399.
A post by Brother Tony Osman, demonstrating the ongoing support of the Brethren in Malawi, was published showing the unstinting giving of their time, effort and care as they distributed materials for roofing of over 60 houses which had been damaged by Cyclone Freddy. This was in addition to the distribution of clothing to the local villagers.
- Once again, it was a pleasure to welcome new members from our Lodges overseas. This week particular reference must be made to Lodge Star in the East, No. 640 (Japan, Far East) and toLodge St. Thomas, No. 576 (Gibraltar).
- In addition, Brethren from other Masonic constitutions, with which the GLoS is in amity, were similarly welcomed. Amongst these were Brethren from the Grand Lodge of the Philippines and the Symbolic Grand Lodge of Paraguay.
On Tuesday night, accompanied by Ann, I had the pleasure to attend the “Box Opening Night” of the Incorporation of Masons of Glasgow in Trades House Glasgow. Deacon Rev David Taylor presided and Grand Organist, Brother Jonathan Buchan, was on hand to provide musical accompaniment. A thoroughly enjoyable evening.
Grand Master Mason