The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
I hope and trust that you are all enjoying the recent spell of good weather. Last Saturday I was on a zoom call with the District Grand Lodge of Central South Africa and for once I was able to tell Brother Jim Kerr that the temperature in the Black Isle was the same as it was in Johannesburg. The meeting was excellent with well over 100 attendees. Brother Kerr conducted the business in a brisk and efficient manner giving a very detailed account of all that has been happening in the District. It had been hoped to have a conventional gathering but there has been another spike throughout South Africa hence the need for a Zoom meeting. My sincere thanks to Brother Kerr and the Brethren for their very warm welcome.
Back in Edinburgh, Grand Secretary has been busy and this week, after interviewing four excellent candidates, has appointed Brother Duncan MacFadyen as the new Assistant Grand Secretary. Brother MacFadyen brings with him extensive experience in the commercial world both at home and abroad and his appointment almost brings the staffing levels in Grand Lodge back to full strength. This is good news and augurs well for the future.
With staffing levels back to where they should be, we are in a good position to action the recommendations that the strategy group submitted to the Administration Committee, and which are now going forward to Grand Committee for their support and approval. There is much to be positive about as we see a light at the end of the tunnel that we have been travelling through for almost 18 months. I see the months ahead as exciting and providing us all with the opportunity to drive forward Scottish Freemasonry in a fresh and stimulating way.
- The Group saw its membership rise to 5362 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 856, submitted by 295 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 322 Lodges, from within all 32 Provincial Grand Lodges, 23 of its District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- During the week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provinces of East Lothian, Edinburgh, Lanarkshire Upper Ward and Linlithgowshire.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £1,349,191.
SCFS Overseas Report
- Our Overseas Membership has now risen to 1519 This is thanks to new members joining us from Lodges in Belgium, Central South Africa (South Africa), Far East (Philippines, Hong Kong), Jamaica, Lebanon, Sierra Leone and The Gambia.
- The largest increase in membership was from the District of Jamaica, with Brethren joining from 9 different Lodges.
- The most Brethren joining from an individual Lodge, this week, were from Lodge Wolmers, No. 1506, Kingston 5, Jamaica.
- The milestone of welcoming our 1500th Overseas Member was reached this week. Congratulations are extended to that member … Brother Clement Hamilton, IPM, Lodge Mico, No. 1583, Jamaica.
- A very warm welcome was extended to Brother Chrispin Bishop Deigh, District Grand Master of Sierra Leone and The Gambia.
- Our membership of Brethren who belong to Lodges whose Grand Lodges are in amity with the GLoS (International Constitution Members) continues to grow ... we now have 688 Brethren spreading news of the wonderful support featured in the posts on the main SCFS page and on the increasingly popular SCFS-Showcase,throughout their constitutions.
- This week Brethren joined from 7different Masonic Constitutions: GL of India, Most Worshipful GL of the Philippines, UGLE, GL of Texas, GL of Canada in the Province of Ontario, GL of Japan.
- A special welcome was extended to Brother Paolo Corallini, who is the Assistant Grand Masterof the Most Serene Grand Lodge of the Republic of San Marino.
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other
Grand Master Mason