The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
On Friday the 13th, having returned to Harare from the Lodge of Sorrow in Chinhoyi, we were collected by Brother Fisher, our new DGM, and taken to the “Derby & Joan Masonic Homes” in Harare where we joined the residents for a delightful afternoon tea.
The following morning, after a rehearsal for the Installation, we walked to the Burton Road Masonic Home complex at the rear of the Masonic Hall. There we met with staff and residents and enjoyed morning coffee with them.
We returned to the hotel to get ready for the installation of Brother Robert MacDougall Fisher as DGM of the District Grand Lodge of Zimbabwe.
At the Lodge, it was heartening to see that all Lodges in the District were present. The Ceremony went well with Grand Secretary doubling up as Grand D of C. Having installed Brother Fisher as DGM, I thereafter installed Brother George McGhie as Depute DGM, Brothers Harry Moan and Peter Leondios as Substitute DGM’s, Brother Marinus Grau as District Secretary and Brother Bryan Hofmann as Chaplain.
At the conclusion of the ceremony, we had the opportunity to gather for a drink and a light buffet.
In the evening, we were joined by the ladies at Sabre Lodge for the Installation Banquet. Guests were piped into the reception by a few members of St John’s College – a truly memorable experience.
- The Group saw its membership rise to 6527 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 1212, submitted by 369 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 383 Lodges, from within 56 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- During the week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provinces of East Lothian, Edinburgh, Forfarshire, Lanarkshire Middle Ward, Linlithgowshire and Midlothian.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £2,299,553.
SCFS Overseas Report
We were delighted to receive the following posts this week:
- Brother Rinus Grau, DG Secretary, shared news of an excellent donation made on behalf of the District Grand Lodge of Zimbabwe, and presentedto Brother Ramsay McGhee, GMM, as a contribution towards the “Make it a Million” target.
- Brother Craig Jessop, DDGM, provided information of a Geisha Valentine’s Tea resulting in a donation to Buffelsfontein Old Age Home by Lodge Good Friendship, No. 1800, in the District of Eastern Province of the Cape of Good Hope.
- Brother Scott Bartlett, IPDGM, provided information about the sponsorship, and this year’s recipient, of the Patrick Tasker Scholarship Award by the District Grand Lodge of Newfoundland and Labrador.
We continue to welcome new members to the group from our Overseas Lodges.
- In this respect, reference may be made toLodge Dunedin Star, No. 1454, Lodge Lusaka, No. 1368, and Lodge Fisk Hoek, No. 1390, in the Districts of Namibia, Zambia, and Western Province of the Cape of Good Hope Brethren joining from those Lodges helped increase our Overseas Membership to 1391. We look forward to welcoming our 1400th Overseas Memberin the near future.
- We also now have 1424Brethren from Lodges whose Grand Lodges are in amity with the GLoS, and who spread news, worldwide, of the wonderful support given to others by our Brethren.
- In this category, new Members joined from 10 geographically widely spread Masonic constitutions: the GL of Alberta, United GL of Queensland, GL of British Columbia and Yukon, GL of Louisiana, GL of Spain, GL of Sweden, GL of Ohio, UGLE, and the GL of Quebec.
- In addition, a further warm welcome was extended to Brother John May, Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Alaska.
** We are grateful to those Overseas Lodges and Districts who shared news of their support of others and look forward to publishing further similar posts.**
As I write the report this week, I’m in the airport at Johannesburg waiting for our flight to Namibia where I will be installing Brother Jaco van der Westhuizen as DGM.
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other.
Grand Master Mason